A growing economic powerhouse boasting a highly qualified workforce, excellent infrastructure and a first-class business environment, Glasgow offers a unique opportunity for potential investors
Glasgow, Scotland’s largest urban economy, is dynamic, stylish and ambitious. It is the main social and economic centre of a metropolitan region of nearly two million people, and the presence of JP Morgan, Santander, Iberdrola, Morgan Stanley, Barclays Wealth and BNP Paribas testifies to the city’s growing appeal as a top business location.
The city is receptive to potential investors, who are typically attracted to Glasgow for a variety of reasons:
• The city is an economic powerhouse that generates nearly £17 billion gross value added to the UK every year.
• Glasgow’s key sectors for economic growth are: Financial & Business Services; Life Sciences; Low Carbon Industries; Engineering, Manufacturing & Design; Further & Higher Education; and Tourism & Events.
• Glasgow will be the host of the 2014 Commonwealth Games which will create and sustain significant business opportunities for the city.
• Talented staff are at the heart of any successful business, and Glasgow has one of the most highly qualified and flexible workforces in Europe.
• The city is host to 12 educational institutions which attract 168,000 students from 135 countries across the globe.
• Over 76% of Glasgow’s population has a qualification of NVQ level 1 (Intermediate 1/Standard Grade) or above and 40% has a higher qualification of NVQ level 4 (undergraduate degree/professional qualification) or above.
• Glasgow is one of Europe’s most vibrant and cosmopolitan destinations, a great international city where business, sport and cultural interests flourish.
• The city’s excellent air, rail and road infrastructure allows for easy accessibility.
• Glasgow delivers efficient and innovative office developments and world class retail spaces suited to every size and type of business.
• The city has one of the most sophisticated and competitive telecommunications operating environments in Europe.
• Glasgow has a massive programme of new developments, including: the International Financial Services District (IFSD), Creative Clyde (Pacific Quay), the International Technology and Renewable Energy Zone (ITREZ), Clyde Gateway, Collegelands and a wide range of state-of-the-art sports facilities underway for the 2014 Commonwealth Games.
• fDi Magazine’s ‘European Cities and Regions of the Future 2012/13’ ranked Glasgow second in its list of ‘Top 10 Large European Cities’ and third as a ‘Top Large European City for FDI Strategy’.
• Top 15 European Financial Centre and ranked 39th globally (Global Financial Centres Index 2012).
Glasgow’s uniqueness to inward investors lies in how it combines a quality business environment with excellent transport infrastructure, aftercare and support that is second to none. Above all, the city’s main differentiating feature is its people whose warmth, friendliness and can-do attitude resonate time and again with inward investors who know they have made the right choice in coming to Glasgow.
For solutions on inward investment and relocation support contact:
Business Relationship Manager
Glasgow City Council
T: +44(0)141 287 7218